Licking Soil & Water assists Licking County landowners in preserving and protecting their land from development. We work with landowners to:
- learn about their wishes
- discuss programs & options
- assist with applications
- assist with the closing process
- provide information and learning resources
- monitor & enforce agricultural easements
Licking Soil & Water will be a Certified Local Sponsor for the Ohio Department of Agriculture's 2019 Local Agricultural Easement Purchase Program (LAEPP). The Licking Soil & Water 2019 LAEPP Landowner Pre-Application deadline is Monday, February 4, 2019.
Download the application:
Reasons to Protect Land include scenic views & open space, family or historical heritage, prime agricultural soils, local food & water sources, and wildlife habitat.
Preservation Options include land donation, land purchase, easement donation, easement purchase, and estate planning.
Conservation or Agricultural Easement Definition: A conservation or agricultural easement is a voluntary, legal agreement to limit development on a parcel(s) of land. The landowner continues to own and control the land and can sell, gift or transfer it. The easement remains with the land and is binding on future owners. Types of restrictions are defined in the easement. The easement is given to a qualified organization.
The Easement Closing Process Steps include:
- consider benefits & costs
- resolve title issues
- prepare Baseline Report
- possible appraisal
- possible survey
- stewardship fee or donation
- possible appraisal for IRS purposes (IRS Form 8283, Non-cash Charitable Donation)
How you can help:
- support and volunteer for local conservation organizations; and
- tell others about land protection options.
For more information on land preservation, call, 740-670-5330, or email email@example.com.
Land Preservation Resources:
For additional information, search the Internet for:
- Clean Ohio Local Agricultural Easement Purchase Program (LAEPP), Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Agricultural Easement Donation Program (AEDP), Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Agricultural Security Areas in Ohio (ASA), Ohio Department of Agriculture
- CAUV Information, Ohio Department of Taxation, Licking County Auditor's Office
- Agricultural District, Ohio Department of Agriculture, Licking County, Ohio Auditor's Office
- Licking Land Trust, Licking County, Ohio
- Coalition of Ohio Land Trusts (COLT)
- American Farmland Trust
- Clean Ohio Green Space Conservation Program (Ohio Public Works Commission)
- Land Trust Alliance
- Estate Planning Resources
RA Jones, Licking County Easement Donation, July 2009 (Licking SWCD on You Tube)
Forever Farmland, July 2013 (Our Ohio on You Tube)